American Express and Delta have had a close relationship for many years, and as part of that, they issue seven co-branded Delta Amex cards, including the Blue, Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards (with the exception of the Blue product, all the others have both a personal and business version). At the moment these cards have limited time welcome offers, so this is a fantastic time to apply.
Delta Platinum American Express Card Basics For June 2022
In this post, I wanted to take a look at the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card. This is one of Amex’s premium co-branded Delta credit cards, which offers a lot of value for frequent Delta flyers. Given the four personal Delta credit cards to choose from, is this the right card for you?
Delta Platinum Amex Bonus Of 90,000 SkyMiles
Through Wednesday, August 3, 2022, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Card has a limited timed welcome offer of 90,000 SkyMiles after spending $3,000 within the first three months. Personally I value SkyMiles at 1.1 cents each, so to me the bonus is worth $990.
The welcome bonus on the card is “once in a lifetime,” so it’s not available to you if you currently have the card, or if you’ve had the card in the past. However, note that you can get each “flavor” of the Delta Amex card, so you are eligible for this card if you’ve had the Gold or Reserve, or if you’ve had any of the business versions of the card.
You can read more about Amex’s general application restrictions here.
Delta Platinum Amex Annual Fee
The Platinum Delta Amex has a $250 annual fee (Rates & Fees). You can add additional users to the card at no extra cost (Rates & Fees).
Earning Miles With Delta Platinum Amex Card
The Delta Platinum Amex offers the following points earning opportunities for spending:
- 3x SkyMiles for purchases directly with Delta
- 3x SkyMiles for purchases made directly with hotels
- 2x SkyMiles at restaurants
- 2x SkyMiles at U.S. supermarkets
- 1x SkyMiles on all other purchases
The card has solid bonus categories for a co-branded airline card, but purely in terms of rewards for spending, I think there are still better cards out there for airfare purchases, hotel purchases, restaurant purchases, and grocery store purchases.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
If you are going to put spending on the Delta Platinum Amex, the good news is that there are no foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees), so you can use the card abroad without paying high fees.
Platinum Delta Amex Card Perks & Benefits
The Platinum Delta Credit Card has a big welcome bonus. In general, I’d say it could be worth putting spending on the card if you’re trying to earn Medallion elite status with Delta SkyMiles. For most people, the reason you’ll want to keep this card long-term is because of the perks and benefits that it offers, which for many people will more than offset the annual fee. Let’s go over some of those benefits.
Annual Companion Certificate
Every year upon renewal of your card you can receive a domestic economy roundtrip companion certificate. You just have to pay the government-imposed taxes and fees for the companion. This is a great deal that can be worth significantly more than the annual fee in and of itself.
If redeeming the certificate there are some things to be aware of:
- It’s valid for roundtrip travel within the 48 contiguous United States
- Residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, or the USVI with SkyMiles accounts registered in those regions can use the certificate for travel from their home territory to the 48 contiguous United States
- You have to pay the government taxes for the second traveler on the reservation
- Companion certificates are only valid for travel in the L, U, T, X, and V fare classes
- You can’t combine a companion certificate with eCoupons
- Travel has to be completed by the expiration date of the certificate
- You have to pay for the ticket using a Delta Amex card
Earn Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs)
Delta is one of the airlines that makes it easiest to earn status through credit card spending. With the Delta Amex Platinum Card you can be well on your way toward status with qualifying spending:
- Earn 10,000 MQMs after spending $25,000 or more in eligible purchases in a calendar year
- Earn an additional 10,000 MQMs after spending an additional $25,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year
Delta Medallion Qualifying Dollar (MQD) Waiver
In order to earn status with Delta, you need to earn a certain number of Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualifying Segments (MQSs), and you also need to earn a certain number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs).
With the Delta Platinum American Express you can receive a waiver of the MQD requirement for qualifying spending:
- Spend $25,000 on the card within the qualification year to get an MQD waiver for Silver, Gold, or Platinum status
- Spend $250,000 on the card within the qualification year to get an MQD waiver for Diamond status
First Checked Bag Free
Just for having the Platinum Delta Card you get a first checked bag free, which would otherwise cost $30 one-way per person:
- This benefit is limited to the primary cardmember and anyone traveling on the same reservation with them (up to nine people)
- You don’t have to pay for your flight with your Delta Amex, though you do need to have your SkyMiles number in the reservation.
This is a great value, given that you’ll usually pay $60 per person roundtrip for a checked bag. If you’re traveling with someone then you’re looking at $120 roundtrip in fees.
Just for having the card you receive Main Cabin 1 priority boarding. This helps maximize your odds of finding space for your carry-on and getting to your seat sooner. Just make sure the primary cardmember’s SkyMiles number is linked to the reservation.
20% Delta Inflight Savings
If you have the Platinum Delta Amex then you can save 20% in the form of a statement credit for eligible pre-purchased meals, and in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, and audio headsets, on Delta flights. Allow 8-12 weeks for the statement credit to post.
Discounted Sky Club Access
Delta Sky Clubs are among the best airline lounges in the United States. If you have the Platinum Delta Amex then you can buy Sky Club access for $39 per person per visit. With a long layover that could represent a good value.
TSA PreCheck Or Global Entry Credit
The Platinum Delta Amex offers a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit once every four years. This can save you time both at security and immigration, and is something I highly recommend signing up for if eligible.
Delta Pay With Miles
Delta has a Pay With Miles feature, where if you have a Delta co-branded credit card you can redeem miles for one cent each toward a Delta flight purchase (in increments of 5,000 miles per $50). That’s not the best deal in the world, though this is a feature that’s exclusively available to those with an eligible card.
Some people find this to be useful since they can redeem their miles toward flights, and then they still earn elite miles for taking those flights.
One of the great features of Amex cards is access to Amex Offers, which offers savings or bonus points on purchases with all kinds of retailers. There’s huge value to be had in getting as many Amex cards as possible, so that you can get these offers on multiple cards.
Amex Offers could save you hundreds of dollars per year. You can access these offers by logging into your account and scrolling down to the bottom of your account summary page.
For having the Delta Platinum Amex you get a ShopRunner membership, which gets you free two-day shipping on eligible items at a network of 100+ online stores. You just have to enroll in your complimentary membership and can then start taking advantage of it.
Is The Delta Platinum Amex Worth It?
The Platinum Delta Credit Card isn’t necessarily the best card for the casual Delta flyer, and it’s also not a card I’d recommend putting much spending on, unless you value the MQMs that you can earn through spending, or unless you want to spend money on the card to get an MQD waiver.
However, this card has solid perks, ranging from a companion certificate to a first checked bag free to priority boarding to savings on flight purchases, and more. Add in the incredible welcome bonus right now, and this card is definitely worth picking up.
Bigger picture, is the card worth it, though? There are a few things to consider.
Want A Business Credit Card Instead?
If the Delta Platinum Amex sounds interesting to you but you are instead looking for a card for your small business, consider the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card.
Most of the benefits of the card are the same. The only significant difference is that the business card earns 1.5x miles on purchases of over $5,000 (up to 50,000 bonus miles annually), while the personal card offers 2x miles at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets (both cards offer 3x miles on Delta purchases and hotel purchases).
Quick Comparison: Platinum Delta Amex Vs. Gold Delta Amex
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
Limited Time: Earn 70,000 Bonus Miles – Offer ends 8/3/2022
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at U.S. Supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: After you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, receive a Credit to use toward future travel.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
The Gold Delta Amex is a good option for the occasional Delta flyer looking for basic perks.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Limited Time: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles – Offer ends 8/3/2022
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
The Delta Platinum Amex is a great option for the more frequent Delta flyer.
How Does The Delta Reserve Card Compare?
For the very frequent Delta flyer, there’s the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card (review), which has a $550 annual fee (Rates & Fees). What differentiates this card?
- The card offers Delta Sky Club and Amex Centurion Lounge access when traveling on Delta same day
- The card offers a companion certificate that is valid for first class as well
- The card allows you to earn up to 60,000 MQMs per year (if you spend $120,000)
- Having the card gets you upgrade priority over those in the same elite tier and fare class who don’t have the Reserve Card
Earn Amex Membership Rewards Points
If you are looking to earn Delta SkyMiles through credit card spending then consider using a card earning Amex Membership Rewards points. That’s because these points can be transferred to Delta SkyMiles at a 1:1 ratio, and you can in many cases earn points at a much faster rate.
The Delta Platinum Amex offers solid perks for those who fly Delta frequently, especially Medallion members. For many, the annual companion certificate will more than justify the annual fee in and of itself, without even accounting for all of the other perks. Some will also find it worth spending money on the card, either to get an MQD waiver, or to earn MQMs for spending.
If you’ve been considering this card, this is a fantastic time to apply, given the huge welcome offer available right now.
If you want to learn more about the Platinum Delta Amex Card or apply, follow this link.
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card (Rates & Fees), and Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card (Rates & Fees).